Friday, July 15, 2011

Creating my little dream Cottage on a shoestring and a prayer.. It begins

Pics coming in a day or two...

When we moved back home to take care of mom, I knew it would be hard.  I didn't realize the gravity of how hard.  Emotionally I was becoming a mess.  I seem to never have a moment for just me. 
I knew Doug and I could have done some remodeling on our house for the cost of this little house, but honestly, I needed a retreat.  Away (but not too far) from all the hustle and bustle.  My house has ample space for us and some people might think I'm nuts for moving into something no bigger than guest quarters, but I have always been fond of cozy places.  
I will walk right over everyday and do what needs to be done and if Mom needs me at any given moment, I will be right next door.  I promised her I would always be here for her.  She would not be put in a nursing home if I could provide.. and I intend to keep my promise.   She can live in my home forever.. But I really need a space to shut the door and breathe for a while.

When Jarel and Sarah moved in with us, it was a Godsend.  They do help with mom.  And Zach and Hannah are not a problem at all.  I love having my children around me, they are my life.. But I still need my own little cubby.  :o)
We will still have all family events and holidays in my bigger house and all guest will stay in the guest room here as well.  I mean, it's still my house.  I will be in here every day.  But the amazing thing is, I can walk fifty or so steps and shut everything out.  My cozy cottage is going to be like heaven. :o)  

I will still walk over and steal Skylee every chance I get.  She will be my little cottage princess.  LOL
XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Joanna! Thank you for finding my blog and visiting and becoming a Follower! :)
    I am YOUR newest Follower now too! :)
    It's amazing because we are very alike... my mother lived with my son and I! She was 89 when she passed away. My Mom always said she never wanted to go in a nursing home either! You are very wise though, to want a 'spot' for yourself, it is tough taking care of an elderly parent. If you ever need to talk, please email me. In the meantime, I am looking forward to seeing the pictures to come that you mentioned at the start of your post! :)
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are alike. I think that must be why I am so drawn to your blog. I'm so glad I stumbled across it and now have a new friend. :)

    ReplyDelete